About 1 month before conducting the survey, parents/guardians should be notified so that they have the opportunity to withdraw or “opt out” their child from participating in the survey. It is assumed that parents who do not respond are allowing their child to participate.
Schools should use at least two methods to notify parents that the IYS survey will be conducted. This is because the single method of sending home with students is not always sufficient to reach parents. All schools should send home the parent notification letter. Other methods to notify parents can include:
Sample parent informational flyer (English/Spanish) Sample parent informational flyer (English/Polish)
information posted to school websites or social network page,
- announcement at PTA meetings,
- announcements via parent email/listservs sponsored by the school, or
- inclusion in school or classroom newsletters.
Written notification and electronic communication to parents should include a link to the page on the IYS website where parents can see, download and sign a parent permission denial form.
Schools in Chicago Public School District 299 - Please go to the CPS Student Health and Wellness site to access your customized parent notification, which includes additional information regarding the IYS Chicago additional questions set.
Steps regarding Parent Notifications:
Download each IYS survey form (6th, 8th, and/or High School forms) that you expect to administer in your school and keep in your school office for parents who wish to see a hard copy of it.
Decide which other method of communication you want to use to alert parents of the upcoming IYS survey. CPRD can provide sample "blurbs" you can use to create your message and have it ready to communicate in whichever communication vehicle you choose.
- Approximately 30 days prior to survey administration, schools should:
The IYS School Contact (or someone appointed by the school administrator) should collect the returned parent permission denial forms to ensure that parents' desire for non-participation is followed. The IYS School Contact should provide, to the teachers administering the survey, the names of the students whose parents have denied permission to participate. Parent denial forms should be returned to CPRD along with completed surveys.
Prior to administration, students whose parents do not want their child to participate should be provided an alternative and neutral activity (quiet reading) in the classroom.
- Download the parent notification letter using the buttons above and print as many copies as students in the classrooms that will be surveyed; and
- Send the parent notification letter home to give parents an opportunity to review the survey (on the IYS website or in the school office) and to exercise the option to deny permission for their child to participate in the survey. The parent notification form is also available in Spanish for parents who might not understand or read English.